Marketing tactics continually change to keep up with the latest technology and the availability of resources, and there are so many guides that claim to know how to increase traffic or conversions. One change can work for one site but not work for another, as every business is different — and so are their audiences.
The same applies to A/B testing tools, too — one tool could do wonders for one website but not satisfy some other site’s requirements at the same time. That’s why you have to choose the right split testing tool, especially since it may cost you time and money to use effectively.
Choosing A/B testing software should be a no brainer, but because there are so many tools out there with small to large variations in features and pricing, it can be very hard to select the perfect one.
We’ve compiled a list featuring the best A/B testing tools for 2021 (based on the most preferred A/B test experiment platforms by both our clients and our skilled A/B test developers) to help you choose the right one for your business.
Best for: Businesses that are looking for an experimentation platform for the long run. Ideal for big enterprises with a good budget and consistent traffic.
Price: Optimizely plans are quoted according to the client’s needs. We’ve discussed Optimizely in detail previously, and according to Convert, Optimizely offers annual plans only: “It is estimated to be $63,700 for 10 million impressions for Optimizely X web Business plans, with other variants available and priced accordingly.”
- Non-coders can also operate the marketing-centric A/B tests for quick fixes. Implementation of Optimizely A/B testing on your site is also very easy to begin with.
- The plans are expandable, allowing A/B testing on web, full stack, personalization platforms, and mobile (both Android and iOS).
- They offer responsive customer support, along with the availability of resources for extra knowledge regarding various features, integrations, and tests.
Optimizely is also trusted by brands such as eBay, American Express, IBM, HP, and many more.
For more info, check out our detailed guide: Optimizely: Things You Need to Know Before You Opt for It.
VWO is another great digital experience platform that gives great competition to Optimizely in terms of quality. VWO also has a package of useful optimization tools to make A/B testing more resourceful. It includes versions such as VWO Testing, VWO Insights, VWO FullStack, and the newly added VWO Plan, a dedicated tool for several optimization needs to make experiments more flexible.
Best for: Businesses that are aiming to understand user behavior as well as possible. They can make use of the heatmaps and personalization tests together to serve up a greater personalized user experience.
Pricing: >$199 per month (for up to 10K visitors) for VWO Testing. You can purchase other plans for a greater variety of options.
- VWO is known for their VWO Insights features that offer heatmaps, recordings, and surveys. This helps you understand user behavior and helps in verifying and debugging issues.
- VWO Plan helps manage recordings and insights collected during the A/B tests.
The VWO customers page features companies such as AMD, Ubisoft, Zalora, Teamleader, and more.
VWO does not include the multi-page testing feature in its growth plan, but with their flexible pricing model, you can opt for it if you need it.
Google Optimize is considered one of the best testing tools available. Despite being a free tool, it includes most of the features users look for when choosing a testing tool. It does have some limitations, which could be resolved with the help of the paid version of the tool called Optimize 360. It enables Google Analytics testing, too.
Best for: Smaller business that want to explore A/B testing without investing a huge chunk of their budget.
Pricing: Optimize is a free tool, whereas Optimize 360 is estimated to be around $150,000 per year.
- Optimize and Optimize 360 both integrate nicely with Google Analytics and other Google products.
- Combining Optimize with Google Analytics helps with targeting a particular audience set, which makes goal tracking easier.
- It does not require a fixed amount of visitors to build and run the experiments.
If you want to compare the paid and free versions with each other, view our Optimize and Optimize 360 comparison.
Adobe Target is a complete optimization software that easily integrates with the Adobe’s Clouds’ features with a combined dashboard, which keeps you updated about all marketing and testing campaigns to simplify management.
Best for: Data-driven marketers who need excellent personalization software via personalized A/B testing.
Price: The Adobe pricing model is customized according to client’s needs. It is charged per licencing fee for the platform.
- Excellent for automated personalization.
- Works great with sites that already use Adobe Cloud, which works great with analytics.
- Allows on-site A/B testing.
- A user-friendly dashboard, which does not require an HTML genius to set up simple tests.
Adobe Target is trusted by clients such as Hitachi, Lenovo, Philips, and more.
Convert is a high-powered tool that has entered the testing market more recently than some of the other options. They provide support to their clients regarding technical aspects. This allows Convert to target users who don’t have much technical background.
Best for: Clients with enterprise needs. Convert is considered an enterprise tool due to its well-equipped features and clientele.
Pricing: Convert pricing starts at $599/mo for their annual Essential plan.
- Convert’s integration list is very diverse, which enables you to use it regardless of your platform.
- It’s equipped with HTML and a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) Editor, along with a sheet editor for dynamic tests.
Clientele include big names such as Sony and Unicef and agencies such as Conversion Rate Experts and Conversion Fanatics.
FunnelEnvy Predictive Revenue Optimization
FunnelEnvy launched an optimization tool called Predictive Revenue Optimization, which uses individual user-based data to form experiments. They believe in providing the right experiment to the right person at the right time.
Best for: Marketers rich with conversion data who could make the most out of its predictive optimization technique.
Pricing: FunnelEnvy pricing is $29/month (paid annually), and custom A/B testing tool pricing and plans are offered for larger businesses.
- Since FunnelEnvy is a CRO agency rich with CRO-based knowledge and expertise, their support is very useful when needed.
- AI-based predictive optimization brings a new aspect to optimization techniques and modifies experiments for the better.
FunnelEnvy PRO also provides many other basic testing features, such as funnel testing, multi-armed bandit optimization, behavioral targeting, product recommendation, testing API, and more.
A/B Tasty is an experimentation and personalization platform on which marketers can boost optimization efforts with A/B testing, user engagement, and marketing campaigns. It’s a decent tool packed with basic features and a few advanced features, too.
Best for: Marketers looking for an all-in-one solution, as it covers all marketing and testing.
- Just like VWO, A/B Tasty provides heatmaps and user sessions.
- It adds value to personalization experiments by using your existing data for targeting as well as for other tests.
- It is a SaaS-based application that’s also compatible with Android, iOS, and other responsive websites.
- It enables both client-side and server-side testing.
Pricing: They offer customized prices per the features you need. In general, their prices are lower than high-end tools such as Optimizely.
You can find reviews from Decathlon, Cartier, Sephora, Discovery, and more on their site.
Omiconvert provides optimization experimentation solutions by using data-driven decisions. Their team of experts helps clients with advice regarding improvement of their campaigns. Their plans include unlimited testing for enterprises along with implementation support and more. Personalization features also offer many add-ons to boost effectiveness.
Best for: Organizations in need of an all-in-one platform with excellent support to back up technical tests.
Pricing: A/B testing tool Omniconverts’s pricing starts at $324/mo for 100k views. which increases per plan upgrades.
- A all-in-one platform that handles A/B testing, personalization, web surveys, and traffic segmentation.
- Provides automation tests for interactive testing.
- Surveying tools start automatically with the triggers of user click, scroll, exits, and other actions.
Omniconvert is trusted by companies such as Whirlpool and Samsung.
Kameleoon: A/B Testing Platform & AI Driven Personalization
Kameleoon is a secure, fast, and powerful web and server-side A/B/n testing and personalization platform. It’s designed for mid-sized to enterprise companies with existing optimization and/or personalization programs aiming to add a feature-rich and easy-to-use solution to their martech stack. Due to Kameleoon’s emphasis on data security and privacy, and with no limitations on the number of variations, testing traffic size, targeting, segmentation, or KPIs, the platform is popular with e-commerce, financial services, healthcare, media, and travel companies. Founded in 2008, Kameleoon was featured in Forrester’s 2020 Q4 Wave for Experience Optimization Platforms as a “challenger” to Optimizely, Adobe Target, and legacy tools. The company has teams in New York, Vancouver, Paris, London, and Germany – allowing it to offer round-the-clock customer support and services.
Best for: With its focus on data security and privacy, Kameleoon is a popular choice for healthcare, financial services, and organizations. Ecommerce brands appreciate its robust integration with Shopify and personalization features.
As a feature-rich platform, Kameleoon is best for mid-sized and enterprise companies with >75,000 monthly unique visitors that already engage in conversion rate optimization, A/B/n testing, experimentation, feature management, and personalization.
Pricing: Kameleoon asks for the average number of monthly unique visitors over the last 12 months when providing a quote for its A/B Testing, Full Stack, and/or Personalization solution. Depending on traffic, the annual license rate for its a/b testing solution starts at approximately $35,000 per year.
- Rich targeting criteria and segmentation features. Users can easily build and target tests with Kameleoon’s native criteria or with Custom data.
- Users can easily simulate, QA and share a/b tests exactly as they would appear and behave on any device easily before launch
- Light and fast script that is guaranteed flicker-free
- Powerful graphic and code-based editor. Any type of team will find its “aha” feature.
- No testing caps, limitations, or price increases for any growth during the annual license.
- Integrations with Shopify, Tealium, Segment, Hotjar, Mixpanel, and every major martech player
- Large library of SDKs including for mobile apps
Kameleoon was featured in Forrester’s 2020 Q4 Wave for Experience Optimization Platforms as a “challenger” to Optimizely, Adobe Target, and legacy tools. It counts Providence, HelloBank, BNP Bank, AWA, Toyota, and Shiseido as clients.
How to Choose the Best A/B Testing Tool for Your Business Website
Many of our clients use many of the tools above, not just one or two of them. If we were to check each tool’s client list, it would give us a rough idea of which one is ruling the game at the moment, but that doesn’t mean one of them should have enough influence to cause a bandwagon effect. There are many aspects to consider when choosing the best one for you and your business, so don’t think you have to use the same ones as everyone else.
If neither in-house nor outsourced coding are options, choose a tool with more technical support and less technical editing required, which may suit your needs best.
If you’re just getting started with testing, you may want to start with affordable or free tools while you’re still learning the basics. All-in-one tools such as Optimizely and VWO are expensive if you don’t need all the features or aren’t sure what to do with them yet.
Then you can shift to more advanced options as your experimentation needs expand, such as those with React A/B testing, dynamic experiments, etc.
Additionally, many tools integrate with each other, which allows you to use multiple tools at the same time. You can opt for many affordable tools with specific testing options closest to your needs without paying a lot for one, more comprehensive tool.
Your requirements may differ from those of other businesses. Some may need optimization for landing pages using Unbounce, product pages using Neat A/B testing, or if they have only one element they want to test. Some focus on personalization more than A/B testing and may need dynamic yielding. Some need heatmaps and recordings along with the experimentation features seen in VWO, A/B Tasty, or Hotjar. There’s also the possibility of needing a tool that integrates best with the analytical tools you’re already using, such as Google Optimize and Adobe testing. The right tools for everyone are out there — choose the ones that work best for you.
Size of Your Business
How much traffic does your site have? Some tools require a range of traffic to start optimization experiments or to end a test. There are ways to run experiments with small traffic, but you may not want to pay a huge amount for a more expensive tool if you can’t even utilize its features. There are many A/B testing options for smaller businesses. Choose the ones that can achieve the best outcome regardless of the sample traffic size, or get started with affordable or free options such as Google Optimize.